...

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Borghese Fango Brillante Brightening Mud Mask

fango:  clay or mud, especially a clay obtained from certain hot springs in Battaglio, Italy, used as a hot application in the treatment of certain diseases.   

Fango therapy is popular in Italian spas, and according to one source I read, the Italian government would subsidize fango therapy for it's citizens for a specified amount of time each year.  It's not as simple as just applying mud as a mask, but involves a 2-3 week process of multiple applications of the mud, followed by a bath in thermal water, perspiration reaction, and a stimulating massage - all prescribed by a physician.  Some research has shown that this therapy facilitates the release of endocrine hormones that decrease inflammation, and is effective in treating gout, obesity, and diabetes.  If you'd like to read more about the therapeutic aspects of mud, here is a good article. 

Fango therapy as practiced in Italy is a full body experience, so that explains why Borghese's Fango Brillante Brightening Mud Mask is for both the face and the body.  This particularly mud mask is supposed to also brighten the skin, and the pale pink color is a change from the typical gray or brown mud mask.  I received this deluxe sample size as part of one of my monthly Birchbox shipments, which is a nice way to sample products you might not come across otherwise. 

The mask has a slight floral smell to me.  After applying a thick layer to my just washed face, I can feel a slight tingling sensation.  Recommended use is once weekly for 5-10 minutes but I usually leave on for 20-30 minutes depending on what I'm doing.  This mud mask is supposed to be good for bringing toxins to the surface purifying the skin.  After removing the mask, I did find it easier to extract blemishes, so that part does seem true.  As to the brightening effect, I can't really say as my skin is not dull, so I'm not sure what the difference would be for me.  I do have some hyperpigmentation, but I'm doubting that once a week use would make a dent in that.

Overall, I like this mud mask!  Regular price is $33.50 for 7 oz. or $67.00 for 17.6 oz.
Ingredients:  Water (Aqua), Montmorillonite, Propylene Glycol, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Cellulose Gum, Hydroxyethycellulose, Glycerin, Collagen Amino Acids, Adenosine Triphosphate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Sea Salt (Maris Sali), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Peg-8, Carbomer, Mineral Salts, Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 (CI 15850).

No comments:

Post a Comment