...

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Le Métier de Beauté's Summer Subscription Exclusive Kaleidoscope Eye Kit

Disclaimer:  I purchased this.
Le Métier de Beauté's Kaleidoscope Eye Kit for the Summer is a cool toned beauty featuring shades that hint at cool weather and fall colors.  At first I wasn't sure if these shades would suit me, as I prefer warmer colors.  Sadly, my kaleidoscope is without a label and there was no enclosed documentation, so I'm a bit in the dark as to the kaleidoscope's or the shadows names.  I did see a post online from someone else who received this one, and she described the shadows as :

A light weight moisture resistant eye base primer
Soft Moonstone
Rhodolite Gemstone
Black Onyx and Plum eyeliners (can be used wet/dry)
One thing I thought immediately upon opening the kaleidoscope was that it was the same as Dark Orchid, which was a Neiman Marcus Camp Gorgeous exclusive GWP.  You can see a very nice review of Dark Orchid from The Beauty Professor here.  Upon closer inspection, I think 3 of the 4 of the Summer kaleidoscope colors are the same as in Dark Orchid, with the lighter and more beige Soft Moonstone having been substituted for the taupe Mocha Sheen.  Not really sure how I feel about the slight tweaking and consequent renaming of the shades that are the same, although I understand the expediency of it.  Given that these are limited edition and not available for general purchase, I guess it's one of those murky areas.
What is definitely clear is the quality of the shadows:  they are lovely!  Richly pigmented, smooth, and extremely blendable, they are a delight to work with.  I was a bit leery of the high shimmer content of Soft Moonstone and Rhodolite Gemstone at first, but somehow they manage to stay out of frosty territory.  The matte lavender/gray/blue and black are both easy to work with and have none of the negatives (powdery or patchiness) that can come with matte shadows at times.  
Soft Moonstone and Rhodolite Gemstone blended
LMdB shadows excel when they are blended together, taking on a complexity that goes beyond the single shades yet without veering into muddiness.  
After playing with this kaleidoscope, I'm more comfortable with the colors and think I'll enjoy having it as part of my collection.  If you are not familiar with the seasonal kaleidoscope subscription plan, it's $225 for 3 kaleidoscopes which makes them $75 as opposed to the usual $95.  Pricey, I know, but there is something a bit addicting about them.  Each series includes one eye, one lip, and one blush or face kaleidoscope and they are supposed to complement each other.  So, it will be interesting to see if the others continue with the fall like hues.  

2 comments:

  1. sooo pricey, but your reviews are making me want one so badly! It won't be long until I take the plunge!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pricey! You should check ebay, I've seen some at reduced prices there.

      Delete